Saturday, June 23, 2007

Backyard Birds

Earlier I had posted about various birds that visit the feeders in my backyard and here I am wondering what the male House Finch is saying or asking the Female. Maybe something like, " Hey I know a great place for some bird seed.." or looking at his beak, she might let him know that he has a 'little something' on it and it looks embarrassing! More will be posted to my smugmug area that has the birds!

These little devils are starting to let me set up my gear outside and then I stand/sit and wait for a little while and let them get comfortable enough to come and eat and hang around the feeders. Some of the shots I have taken are from within the house so not only shooting through all the glass in the lens but also the window glass.....way too much glass.
So another little House Finch is hanging out on a plant trellis looking all cool and then "Poof"!
He makes his whole little body and feathers just pop out! Kind of like saying "How do you like me now! You want some of this?!"

Of course the equalizer in the whole show is when the friendly Cooper's Hawk comes around and sits on the feeders. Now he is looking for a free meal too, but most of the other birds that hang out for the free meals do not like becoming a meal themselves. I am not totally sure this is a Cooper's Hawk or possible a Sharp-Shinned Hawk? If you know, feel free to let me know.
Thanks for reading and hope you enjoy!
Tim -

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Okay -
after some extensive research I am convinced that this final shot is of a cooper's hawk. Based on other photos, habits and markings I believe it to be so.

Tim -