Thursday, June 18, 2009

A Full Circle?

If you haven't figured out some things about me is that I like feeding the little birds that hang out near the house. We get a variety of Finches, sparrows, dark eye junco's, some chickadees and of course a crow or two, some western scrub jays, Northern Flickers, etc. They feed off the bird seed I put in the containers and the suet, and of course bugs and such on the ground, that is kind of nice.

And though I feed them and enjoy their songs and flying around they pretty much don't have much to worry about as long as we keep the neighbor cats at bay. They have even accepted our dog when he is out laying on the back steps.

This evening though the circle came closed more/less. I was working on one of the water heads in the backyard and while I was correcting the spray a bird flew threw the yard but out of the corner of my eye I noticed something different, especially the tail feathers. It landed on the fence across the yard and I could only watch it looking for birds, the cameras were inside and if I moved it would be gone that quick. What was it? I am pretty sure it was a Sharp Shinned Hawk as it was much smaller then the Cooper's Hawks I have seen around here. It had missed a bird in flight so was searching for another. It was quite awesome to sit there and watch it looking around, and being a predator with some great skills.

I know it sounds horrible that I basically am inviting potential food chain activity in my backyard, but the Hawk has more misses then hits and it is part of the circle. I expected this much sooner but now will probably have to wait along time before it happens again. Of course it will take place when I don't have a camera handy!

Sorry no shots this time, but will post out some if a Hawk comes around and I have a camera.

Thanks for reading!

Tim -

No comments: