Wednesday, November 4, 2009

Fall is holding a little warmth for us

November is here and will probably blow right past as the other ten previous months this year! I will try to embrace it and as months go this is probably my favorite month, with leaves changing, crisp air to breath and the fight of slight Indian summer trying to hang on a few more days. I really enjoy the cool temps in the morning and day and the ever changing colors. Only another week or so and most of the trees will have shed their coats of leaves.

We have had a break from the usual rain after a couple of weeks where we got rain off/on all day for about two weeks. Halloween was dry so that was great for the kids to be out and not get wet and it was relatively nice with the night temps in the low 50's during trick or treat time.

Over the last couple years, Salem bought this old railroad bridge for a $1 and have been working on its conversion to a pedestrian/bicycle bridge. This past spring they opened it and it has been a great hit, connecting the west side with east side from two separate parks. I use the bridge on my bike commutes home so always enjoy the crossing. It is even more cool in the evening with more darkness and the lights, etc. It sits a little lower then the two vehicle bridges and about a hundred yards to the North of the Marion Street bridge. All in all it is one of the better investments I have seen Salem make since we moved here in 2003.

I put in a couple of shots that kind of give you an idea of the bridge. One has my trusty steed leaning against the rail and the other is me taking a shot while riding across so it is a bit blurry but still pretty cool. Enjoy. BTW the bridge is going to close on 11/9/09 until March/April of 2010 for some more work so I will have to change my commute again.

Tim

No comments: