Thursday, November 26, 2009

Happy Thanksgiving & Birds of Prey

First of all, I wish a very Happy Thanksgiving to all! May your day be filled with joy and wonderful conversation as you celebrate with family and friends!

Now, last week on 11/19 I was at home for lunch and just finished up when a larger bird flew and landed on a bird feeder in the backyard. I figured it was a Blue Jay or a crow, but looked anyway and nope....it was a smaller Hawk, and after slowly moving across two windows then going to hands and knees I was able to grab a camera I keep on a table by the back picture window. Got it turned on, lens ready and leaned on some furniture without making big motions and got off about 20 shots. I have included one and sorry had to crop and manipulate a little so it doesn't take up so much room when I upload. I also had to shoot through the window which sometimes give me some extra distortion.

Anyway - First shot is a 'Sharp Shinned Hawk' part of the Accipiter family which is some of the smaller Hawks. It was in the hood as I have plenty of Junco's, Chickadee's and some lesser gold finches for it to prey upon. I have included a shot of a Cooper's Hawk so you can kind of see the differences. I used to get a Cooper's Hawk by our previous house looking for small bird or two for a meal. Enjoy!


Tim

No comments: