Tuesday, July 27, 2010

July Harvest in the Valley

Well as we wind our way down to the end of July there is a whole lot of harvesting going on in the Willamette Valley. Of course the various grass seed is being brought in which really helps with the allergies! Then the wheat is just starting to be brought in and I think they are a few weeks behind but we had such a cool and damp May into June that it didn't really get growing as normally as it would. Blueberries are also at various stages with most still on the bushes as they haven't quite turned yet.

Why would I know or share this? Just because I can for one and the other day while on a bike ride I was riding though Polk and Yamhill counties and saw the different levels of harvest coming in. Of course the many vineyards of Pinot, some Chardonnay and other varietal grapes are just growing strong now waiting for the fall harvest and produced into some wonderful wines.

I didn't have my 'point & shoot' on me on Sunday so ended up going back in the evening to shoot a few pics along my ride from the AM. I've included one that has the evening sun lighting up the wheat field with some trees in the background and in the far part of the shoot in Mt. Hood. We get lots of dirt rising from the agriculture here so it kind of gives a haze in the distance most evenings.

Thanks for stopping by and will be posting more to my website soon, see the links on the right!

Tim

No comments: